Monday, August 29, 2016

Oh Benque....




It's been hot and humid here in Benque these last two weeks. This little town has proved to have its challenges. We are on our fett 8-10 hours a day under the blazing sun, very few people here receive us. As far as the missionary work goes this place is a little rough. 

My spirits haven't dropped and I'm not discouraged, as one leader once told me "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun." I'm still enjoying myself as a missionary, things just move along slowly here, but you got to try and find some humor in things as well. 

I' d like to share some of the dialogue that I've had contacting people here in the streets of Benque these last few weeks:

1. A Normal Door we knock (usuallly spanish, it's a weird mix here)

Me: "Hola hermana, como esta?" (Hi, how are you doing?)

Lady: " Yo soy catolica" (I'm catholic)

Me: "ok, pero como esta? Que tal su dia?" (ok, but how are you? How's your day?)

Lady: "yo soy catolica" (I'm catholic)

Me: " Que bueno! Que bueno que usted es catolica! Pero hermana, le gustaria escuchar un mensaje muy especial de Jesucristo?" (That's great! That is awesome that you are catholic! Would you like to hear an exciting message about Jesus Christ?)

Lady: "Ya recibo ensenanza, ya estoy en el camino" ( I already receive teachings, I'm already in the way)

Me: Have a great afternoon!

2.  A Door that we knocked (this was in english)
Me: "Hi, how are you?"

Person: "That's private information."

My companion: "ok, we are missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My name is Elder Ostler and this is my companion Elder Gardner, what's your name?"

Person: "That's private information."

Me: "Alright, that's great! Have the missionaries ever visited you before?"

Person: "I just moved here."

Me: "Oh, cool. Where from?"

Person: "That's private information."

Me: "Ok, as missionaries we share a very special message about Jesus Christ. Would you like to hear about it?"

Person: "No."

Me: "Why not?"

Person: "That's private information."

Me: "ok, have a great afternoon!"


It is interesting to talk to a variety of people and to be rejected by them in unique ways, these are just two examples. The first example is extremely common here, these people are taught to not talk to anyone about God in their church. That seems a little self-contradicting but it's all good!

I'm doing great here and it is a joy to see the changes people have in their lives when they'll just give our message a shot and change their lives. It is a great joy to see how true principles and application of the teachings of the scriptures help people. I know this message is true, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ can make everyone happier. 

I hope you all have a great week, 



Elder Gardner







No comments:

Post a Comment