Monday, February 13, 2017

Awful Spaghetti, A Baptism, A Active VolcanoSan

Chicken feet spaghetti

Painting Hospital





Santa Ana Volcano





On Wednesday we were invited to lunch. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The food served was spaghetti noodles (without hardly any sauce) smothered in chicken feet with beans, served with polluted tap water mixed with sugar. That part I can handle, I have eaten worse things in my mission. It wasn't that part that got me. The food was prepared in a filthy kitchen, but it wasn't that part that got me either. We helped her to make the food and the manner in which the food was prepared was what got me. I saw the lady clean the chicken feet without washing her hands, and then when she did wash her hands she did so in a small bucket, and then SHE ADDED THE CONTENTS OF THE SMALL BUCKET TO THE FOOD! 

Long story short, we forced the food down in order to avoid hurt feelings. I am scarred from the experience. We will go to all means in order to not eat in that house again. 

We had a great baptism yesterday, our investigator, Lucio, was baptized and confirmed a member of the church yesterday. He was an atheist two months ago, but now he is super excited to come to church. He is going to buy a white shirt and we bought him a set of scriptures. So, that was a great experience. It is a joy to share this message with these people and to see the happiness and joy it brings them to come closer to Jesus Christ by changing their lives and living the gospel. 

We went to a Volcano today, it was a good hike. We had to go with police officers in order to do so because I guess they assault people on the trail, which doesn't surprise me. But, when we got to the place they told us that the next tour wasn't for another 2 hours. But, we didn't want to wait that long. I had the idea that we could probably give the cops an incentive to get moving a little bit. So, we offered one of the the policemen a tip (well, basically we bribed him, not basically, we did bribe him) and almost immediately we were headed straight up the mountain with a large group of armed men to protect us. Money talk loud here in El Salvador. It was obvious during the course of the hike that some of the missionaries in our zone haven't been doing their daily exercises. We also met some people from Holland and we talked with them during a lot of the hike, they are here in Central America for 3 months. The guy, Jan, told me that he had only heard of the Mormoms through Southpark. So, I had to clarify several things and he told me that he'd look up our website to learn more. But, all the missionaries had a great time. 

All is well down here, I hope all of you have a wonderful week! 

Elder Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment